course 2014
Ads By IM Forum

Thread: LESSON 2 Do a Quick Brain-Dump of What You Already Know About Your Site

IM GreenHorn
    Thanks

LESSON 2 Do a Quick Brain-Dump of What You Already Know About Your Site

Lesson 2: Do a Quick Brain-Dump of What You Already Know About Your Site

As you may recall from last week I introduced you to how and why SEO works and how you can do it yourself. This week we're jumping right in and getting started.

Open your text editor or word processor and write down all the words and phrases that you might have searched for if you were looking for a company which offers products and services similar to yours. Suppose your company sells model sailing ships.

Here's a list of phrases that I'm guessing you might have searched for if you were looking for a model ship:

• Plastic model sailing ships
    • Sailing ships
    • Model Ships
    • Museum quality model ships
    • Replica Model Ships
    • Model sailing ships
    • Wood model ships

Of course, the keywords that came to your mind may have been different. But that's not important - the important thing is to get an initial list of keywords that we can then use to find a ton more, and then cherry pick the best. I'll show you how next.

Initially I like to brain storm and collect as much as possible so don't feel limited, but at the same time don't kill yourself trying to be too thorough.

Insider Insight: Why You Should Only Use Multi-Word Keywords!

You may be wondering why I have not used single word keywords. Here's why:

Firstly, single word keywords tend to be hyper-competitive. A search for "ships" or "models" in any search engine will probably generate hundreds of thousands of pages (even many millions).

Secondly, because of the sheer number of pages that single word searches can throw up, most search engine users have realized that they can get more relevant pages if they search for multi-word phrases rather than individual words.

Thirdly, single word keywords won't get you targeted traffic--which is what you want! When people search for just "ships", they are not necessarily looking for model ships - they may be interested in paintings or books on the subject or non-sailing ships.

Next week we'll take your keywords phrases and use them to mine the best highest traffic keywords on the Internet.

Your keywords phrases will be used both on your site and in the links pointing back to your site.

See you tomorrow for Lesson 3: Find the Most Magnetic Keywords for Your Site.

Previous Lessons
    Lesson 1

Last edited by seokiller; 08-28-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thank you for posting part 2.

Yes, it is good to make a list of keywords first. You can write down all the keywords that come to your head and then choose the right keywords.

IM Noob
    Thanks
    Very good waiting for the third lesson.

IM GreenHorn
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea regarding " Do a Quick Brain-Dump of What You Already Know About Your Site " as I can see you are very expert and very sure of what you are saying.

Very well said.

-Allison

Thanks
    One of you doesn't hurt the industry but hundreds, thousands of you? Hundreds and thousands of you go to job interviews and are uncovered. The certification loses value. Certifications get a bad name. Exams are made more difficult. And you know that as an IT professional you will need to certify throughout your career, so do you think you aren't hurting yourself when you go for the next certification? Now because of your actions and others like you, you are paying more for certifications and they become less valuable than they used to be - which means you have to try harder.